Saturday, December 1, 2007

MACHOO and Christmas Spirit

"I saw mommy kissing Santa Clause......maybe more than that."

Face it....our real master is the fat red man himself! Every year we prepare to snap to attention. Almost every business shuts down so we can celebrate it. We lose track of our wastelines as we begin to gorge on 'holiday appropriate' sweets. Our stomachs bulge to the point of bursting and we take extra Advil just to endure the many screams of children echoing through the store. The happiness of the jingling music does not match the faces of the many employees at our local malls. We flag our colors of devotion (red and green) in the form of clothing and housing decorations. The fat man has power, my friends.

But I can't help but love him.

Maybe that's because my father was Santa Clause.

Several years after the event, I was told the earth shattering news of that day in the grocery store. I feel like an idiot now. But I was just a kid-a kid like any other who believed that Santa Clause was eager to bestow many gifts upon me for obediant behavior throughout the year. My mother took me into a grocery store to shop, when she took me to see Santa. He seemed especially happy to see me, as was I to see him. What a glorious time I had discussing my behavioral success with the enlightened fat celebrity! Mom even told me that she was going to grab some groceries and she gave me the option of hanging out with Santa. Sparkly eyed, I gazed at the icon, unaware that just behind the red costume was the man who had given me life. The man who was around much more than once a year. When I learned this news as an adult, I became even more aware of the phenomenon and frenzy that is Christmas.

As a Christian, I understand that Jesus is the reason for the season. But I'm not sure I completely agree anymore. Idealy, yes. In origin, yes. But the reality is that Christmas has become something else. What began as a religion specific holiday became a world wide event celebrated in several different ways. For good or for bad, it is what it is: a man made machine. The true interpretation of Santa Clause to me-or Christmas for that matter- is what was reality.

Behind the frenzy was a man who loved his son, and participated in the holiday for his family (he held odd jobs while in college). The real magic was the man who wore the suit.

Maybe you're like me: somewhere in between "Merry Christmas" and Ba-humbug". Maybe you are beginning to hate consumerism yet still become enchanted with the season. Maybe you long for a place free from Santa's tyranny.

But maybe....just maybe....behind the shiny fake suit is what you've had all along.

1 comment:

o0Larome0o said...

Im in complete agreement with you on the half "Merry Christmas" half "Ba Hum-bug" deal. It kinda urks me when most of the holiday season is pushed to displayed qualitys of "Good will" and "Peace on earth" but to tell the truth, this is the time i see some of the worst in people. Its kinda sad when the cops gets called to Wal-Mart to arrest people....Wal-Mart people....WAL-MART!!!! What they dropped there prices down $5 instead of the usual $1 and people start having UFC matches in the isles.

I even have come to a point now that i hate most christmas music! The only songs i happen to like are the ones that speak about the true meaning of christmas, and exault His name. All others can be curped to the gutter.

Its also kinda sad when i see half hearted volunteers for the salvation army and other charitys, and i wonder where the donations are really going...sad on my part i guess >.>

Oh well, Happy Birthday Jesus!!